For some Lupus patients, being unprepared will not be an option. Your health will depend upon how well you anticipate possible problems. If you don't know where to start, here is the list of items I keep on me at all times:
8 Items You Should Never Leave Home Without
- Your Doctor's business card. If you have a medical emergency, it will be important to contact them and let them know what is happening.
- Your Health Insurance card. Hospitals will need this information and if you are in bad shape, repeating this information orally is a nightmare.
- A card with your allergies, your current medications, and medical problems (Lupus) written on it. This is perfect for situations when you are not able to tell the health professionals yourself. (Feel free to use the one I made for you on the right).
- Travel-sized container of an allergy medicine (like Benedryl).
- Travel-sized container of pain medicine approved by your doctor. Make sure your pain medication is approved by your doctor. With certain medications and health problems, you won't be able to take pain medication you are used to taking.
- Water or other hydrating beverage. It's very easy to get dehydrated, and by staying hydrated you will feel better for a lot longer And it's useful if you have to take your medicine during the day.
- Hand sanitizer. With your immune system not working the way it should, it is important to do what you can to stay healthy. They have lots of great smelling hand sanitizers now so you don't have to deal with the harsh alcohol smell.
- Travel pack of tissues. Keeps you from re-infecting yourself if you are sick.
These items have all been life savers for me. Literally. Staying healthy is important, and it is extremely important to always be prepared. By keeping these items on you wherever you go, any problems you might run into will be less stressful and much easier to deal with.